California Department of Transportation

Hazardous Cargo

All motor carriers and drivers involved in transportation of hazardous materials must comply with the requirements contained in federal and state regulations, and must apply for and obtain a hazardous materials transportation license from the California Highway Patrol (CHP). The license costs $100 dollars for the original, and $75 for a renewal. When transporting explosives, inhalation hazards, and highway route-controlled quantities of radioactive materials, safe routing and safe stopping-places are required. A route map must be carried in the vehicle.

Please see this CHP website for forms re. Hazardous Materials Transport.

Endorsement: A driver is required to obtain a hazardous materials endorsement issued by the driver's country or state of domicile to operate any commercial vehicle carrying hazardous materials. The driver is required to display placards or markings while hauling hazardous waste, unless the driver is exempt from the endorsement requirements. A driver who is a California resident is required to obtain an endorsement from CHP (see phone number below).

For enforcement information, contact the CHP at (916) 843-3445.

Return to the Caltrans "Legal Truck Access Branch" page.

Revised 3/22/10.