- Caltrans Home
- Division of Traffic Operations
- Office of Traffic Engineering
- Legal Truck Access Branch
LEGAL TRUCK SIZE & WEIGHT
Agricultural Biomass Haulers Length Exemption
THIS EXEMPTION BECAME INOPERATIVE ON JULY 1, 2006 AND WAS REPEALED ON JANUARY 1, 2007.
Following is a selective paraphrase of the CVC. It is not guaranteed and may be subject to change.
Per California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 35401.8, a combination of vehicles designed and used to transport agricultural biomass, and that may consist of a truck tractor, a semitrailer, and a semitrailer or trailer, may extend to a total combined length of 75 feet, if the following conditions are met:
- Front Trailer: The length of the front trailer shall not exceed 32 feet, the distance between the axles of the front trailer are the same as that of a trailer that is 28.5 feet in length. No extension shall be allowed for the front trailer.
- Rear Trailer: The length of the rear trailer shall not exceed 28 feet 6 inches. The rear trailer may have one-third of a bale that extends off of the back of the trailer, the rear trailer may also have an extension not to exceed 18 inches, or the rear trailer may have both the extension and the one-third bale extending off the back of the trailer.
- Counties: The vehicles must operate within the Counties of Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Placer, Sutter, Tehama, Yolo, and Yuba.
- Routes: The vehicles must not operate on a National Network route. To determine which routes are NN, click here for the Truck Route List in Excel and look for NN in the column "Type."
Caltrans Legal Truck Access Branch
General number (916) 654-5741
E-mail: Truck Size & Weight Unit.
Return to the Caltrans "Legal Truck Access" page.