ASTM defined roughness as: The deviations of a surface from a true planar surface with characteristic dimensions that affect a vehicle ride quality.
In a 2002 Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) survey, road condition was cited as the public’s number one criteria for satisfaction. Other national surveys of road users list smooth pavement as a top highway characteristic. Rough or uneven pavement adversely affects driver safety, fuel efficiency, ride quality, vehicle wear-and-tear, and pavement durability.
Designing for Smoothness
- Current Specifications for Smoothness
- Pilot Incentive/Disincentive Specifications
- Criteria to Use Specification
- How to Obtain Approval
- Letter from Chief Deputy
- Projects Already Approved to Pilot
- International Roughness Index
- National Rankings
- How Texture Relates
- Measuring Devices
- Concrete Pavement Conference (PDF, 101KB)
Please forward any questions/comments/suggestions to Linus Motumah (firstname.lastname@example.org). Last updated 07/11/2012.