Caltrans Executive Biographies
Deputy Director, Maintenance and Operations
Steve Takigawa is the Deputy Director of Maintenance and Operations for the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans).
Mr. Takigawa manages the day-to-day operations of the Division of Traffic Operations, the Division of Maintenance, and the Division of Equipment, overseeing a statewide operating budget of $2 billion, 8,500 employees, and a fleet with more than 10,000 pieces of equipment.
During his career at Caltrans, Mr. Takigawa has spearheaded a number of transportation innovations in California, including the following:
- Managing Caltrans’ fleet with Global Positioning System (GPS) vehicle data.
- Converting roadside lighting to light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
- Developing a lights-out program that uses prismatic sheeting on overhead signs and allows the removal of all lighting, copper wire, and catwalks.
- Developing and implementing an Integrated Maintenance Management System for the Maintenance Program. This project earned the International Honors Laureates’ Medal from Computer World.
- Developing the Five-Year Maintenance Plan. This plan increased the Preventive Maintenance budget from $76 million to more than $500 million annually. The plan targets to delay pavement deterioration and save $907 million in rehabilitation needs over five years.
Mr. Takigawa is a licensed civil engineer, having graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from San Jose State University. He has been with Caltrans for 27 years, serving in a number of high-profile engineering and management positions.
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
Winter Driving Tips
General Information Line: (916) 654-2852
You can also call
California Department of Transportation
1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814