District 10 Small Business Program
Steven R. Martinez, District 10 Small Business Liaison
Telephone: (209) 948-7855
Fax: (209) 942-6148
Lauren Pulido, District 10 Small Business Manager
1976 E. Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd.
Stockton, CA 95205
Small Business Certification
Benefits of Certification
As a Certified Small Business or Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise, you:
- Qualify for a 5% bid preference on applicable state contracts.
- Are listed in the State's Internet Certified Firm Listing, giving your business more visibility and expanded business networking opportunities. There are no fees for getting your business certified!
As a Certified Small Business you are also:
- Eligible for benefits under the Prompt Payment Act, including higher interest penalties for late, undisputed invoice payments. Caltrans is committed to making payment 45 calendar days following the date upon which a properly submitted, undisputed invoice is received.
Certification Requirements Small Business
To be eligible for Small Business (SB) Certification your business:
- Must be independently owned and operated.
- Cannot be dominant in its field of operations.
- Must have its principal office located in California.
- Must have its owners (or officers in the case of a corporation) domiciled in California.
- Together with affiliates , be either:
- A business with 100 or fewer employees, and average annual gross receipts of $12 million or less over the previous three tax years, or
- A manufacturer with 100 or fewer employees.
Certification Requirements Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise
To be eligible for Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) Certification, your business:
- Must be at least 51% owned by one or more disabled veterans.
- Daily business operations must be managed and controlled by one or more disabled veterans.
- The home office must be located in the United States.
- Owner must be a California resident.
A disabled veteran is a veteran of the United States military, naval, or air services; has a service-connected disability of at least 10% or more.
How To Become A Certified Small Business
Here are some links to assist your company in becoming certified to do business with the State of California as a Small Business Enterprise, Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise, or Disadvantaged Business E.
- Caltrans Business Enterprise Program
- DBE Certification Forms
- Download a copy of "How To Do Business with Caltrans"
- Prevailing Wage Information
- California Labor Laws
- Doing Business With Caltrans
Caltrans goal is to exceed the 25% mandate for utilization of certified small businesses, and 3 % with Disabled Veterans Business Enterprises (DVBE) for all contracting and purchases.
- Letter from former Director Will Kempton announcing DBE Program change.
- Elimination of DVBE Good Faith Effort Link
- Department of General Services (Small Business, DBE and DVBE)
The Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is a major resource for Small Business looking for assistance in business development and certification.
Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (SBDC), San Joaquin Delta College
56 South Lincoln Street
Stockton, CA 95203
650 Capitol Mall, Ste., 7-500
Sacramento, CA 95814