Albion River Bridge Rehabilitation/Replacement
This project will evaluate rehabilitating or replacing the Albion River Bridge on Route 1 in Mendocino County near the town of Albion.
This project is needed because the bridge is narrow, it does not meet current standards for shoulders and guardrails, and maintenance costs are high.
A public scoping meeting was held on Tuesday, April 14, 2015. Comments related to environmental concerns to be addressed in the draft environmental report must be sent by May 7, 2015.
Caltrans and their consultants have conducted two investigations at the bridge site. The first, completed in June 2014, termed a "bridge Survey," determined the concentration of wood preservative constituents in the structural members of the bridge for waste classification, the level of lead present in the bridge rail paint system, and if asbestos containing materials were present. This "survey" investigation provided a group of "constituents of concern" (COCs) used to direct the follow up investigation. The second investigation, termed a "preliminary Site Investigation" (PSI), completed in December 2014, focused on determining if a release of any COCs had occurred in the immediate vicinity of the bridge. All investigations to date have occurred within the 100-foot wide State Highway Right of Way at the bridge site.
- This fact sheet explains the results of the two investigations (PDF 127K)
- Asbestos, Lead-Containing Paint, and Treated Wood Survey Report - June 2014 (PDF 4.1M)
- Preliminary Site Investigation Report - December 2014 (PDF 9.6M)
- Final Hydraulic Report - February 2014 (PDF 1.4M)
- How Caltrans Builds Projects - September 2011 (PDF 3.4M)
- Project Study report - August 2009 (PDF 20.6M)
- Final Value Analysis (VA) Study Report - Full Report for Albion River and Salmon Creek Bridges - October 2013 (PDF 23.5M)
- Structure Replacement and Improvement Needs Report - March 2014 (PDF 10K)
- Advance Planning Study Pricing Update - May 2013 (PDF 3.6M)
- Feasibility Study for rehabilitating the existing bridge - May 2013 (PDF 4.1M)
- Tsunami Inundation Map, Albion Area - June 2009 (PDF 820K)
- Effective Speed Zoning, Why and How - Courtesy AAA of Southern California (PDF 2.3M)
- Peer Review Fact Sheet - August 2007 (PDF 169K)
- Albion River Bridge Inspection Report - May 2012 (PDF 2.5M)
For more information, contact:
Phone: (707) 445-6554, TTY 711
Public Information (Media Inquiries)
Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Phone: (707) 441-4678, TTY 711